Microsoft Still Not Allowing Wireless Guitar January 13, 2007Posted by dpcough in CES 2007.
add a comment
Speaking at CES 2007 to Gamelife Red Octane said that they haven’t given up on a wireless controller for the Xbox 360 version yet, it’s just not likely with such little time left that it could happen. I’d like to see a wireless guitar ship with the Xbox 360 version. I don’t see why Microsoft wouldn’t allow it. Who cares because Microsoft won’t make a firstparty guitar anyway? Previous reports are correct about Microsoft not allowing, now only time will tell. Toward the end of the year Nyko will release a wireless guitar but I don’t want to pay for a wireless guitar extra.
No HDMI 360 (For Now) January 10, 2007Posted by dpcough in CES 2007.
add a comment
Many people were confused when Microsoft did not announce a new version of Xbox 360 as numerous sites had information about a 360 with HDMI and a 120 GB HDD, which made sense with the upcoming IPTV (Tivo) technology.
Speaking at CES 2007 Chris Satchell responded to the HDMI 360 rumors:
“We’re always working on prototypes and new technologies and just playing with stuff in Redmond to see what’s interesting. I think at the moment we have the widest available connections on the system. If you want to get great HD, I think we’ve got a good solution for that. In the future it’s interesting to see where standards evolve to. I think one of the problems that the whole industry, us and entertainment, are facing at the moment is we’re in this world where standards are evolving very quickly.”
So there you have it, just a prototype. One is likely in the future though. When asked of a larger HDD he responded with this. “but there isn’t any announcement today about any new configuration that may or may not be happening.” My money is that one is, that is a standard PR line when something will happen but hasn’t been announced but it will soon most likely.
Titles on Floor At CES January 9, 2007Posted by dpcough in CES 2007.
add a comment
If you are attending CES this week here are the titles in the Microsoft booth according to IGN: (Wish I was there for Shadowrun, reminder that Crackdown will have a demo on Marketplace January 18 and Halo 2 for vista is also playable at CES)
Xbox Live Arcade
Dashboard Update January 9, 2007Posted by dpcough in CES 2007.
add a comment
Today an update was released for the Xbox 360 dashboard, all it did was do some patching to the code with maintence, no IPTV upgrades. Makes you wonder though why one just happened to roll out today though because it has no IPTV functions, just updating a bit. A Gears patch was rolled out today also.
Zune With Games In 2008 January 9, 2007Posted by dpcough in CES 2007.
1 comment so far
Peter Moore let the cat out of the bag at CES, the Zune will feature gaming by 2008 at the latest. With the recently announced Apple iPhone Microsoft certainly has lot of catching up to do but I’ll make the prediction early – Microsoft will have a better product with the Zune by the end of 2008. The Zune is clearly better than the iPod if you use both, it’s certainly behind the iPhone but Microsoft will make some upgrades to it, throw on their software they have made, and a few more tweaks and it’ll be a great product when Halo Portable releases in 2008 (Halo Portable isn’t confirmed, it’s rumored and likely.)
Second Largest January 9, 2007Posted by dpcough in CES 2007.
Comedy Central revealed at CES how Microsoft’s Video Marketplace is their second biggest place to get their comedy from. That statement alone proves how Video Marketplace is picking up because the one in front in obvious – iTunes and Xbox Live Marketplace doesn’t even have The Colbert Report and many other Comedy Central Hits that iTunes has. I need a Colbert Report subscription please! With over 5 Million Members and growing Xbox 360 is quickly one of the best places to get on-demand video and soon IPTV.
CES Keynote Highlights January 9, 2007Posted by dpcough in CES 2007.
add a comment
Here are the highlights and summary of the CES Keynote:
- In little over a year on the market we sold over 10.4 million Xbox 360 consoles in more than 37 countries.
- The Xbox Live community has eclipsed 5 million members, with over half of all consoles connected.
- Over 100 million pieces of standard and high definition content have been downloaded from Xbox Live Marketplace.
- This holiday Xbox 360 owners had more than 160 games to choose from – the strongest first year lineup of games in console history.
- We had a record-breaking attach rate of 5.3 games sold per console.
- Gears of War has sold more than 2.7 million copies after only 8 weeks on the market and won numerous Game of the Year awards.
- Xbox Live Arcade had more than 20 million games downloaded to date
- With more than 5 million members, Xbox Live is well on its way to our stated goal of 6 million Xbox Live members by June 2007.
- The average Xbox Live Gold subscriber has more than 21 friends
- Every day there are 2 million messages (text/voice/picture) sent across the Xbox Live network.
- Over 70% of Xbox Live members are downloading content from Xbox Live Marketplace.
- We remain on track for 13-15 million units shipped by the end of FY07 (through June).
- This year we’ll more than double the 160 games available today, including Lost Planet, Forza Motorsport 2, Crackdown, Mass Effect, Too Human, Shadowrun, Bioshock, Guitar Hero 2, Dance Dance Revolution Universe, Assassin’s Creed, Blue Dragon, Project Gotham Racing IV, Grand Theft Auto IV, and the most anticipated title in gaming history … Halo 3.
- We’re bringing the Xbox Live community to Windows this summer, enabling tens of millions more to join the fun and delivering on the promise made by Bill Gates at last year’s E3.
- On stage we showed for the first time, through a game of Uno, what the Live experience will be on the PC, and how it enables casual and hardcore gamers alike to connect with their friends regardless of what platform they’re on.
- The Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive is the most affordable HD DVD player on the market and it’s selling out at retail.
- HD DVD is quickly becoming the format of choice for consumers, with an industry-leading projected annualized attach rate of 28 movies per player.
- The Xbox 360 is the only gaming console to offer high definition downloadable movie and TV content, rocketing to the #2 internet download service and #1 where it counts – in the living room, and in high definition.
- With over 1,000 hours of content, we’re posting content as fast as we can “ingest” it into the system, with high definition downloads leading the way.
- Just recently, COMEDY CENTRAL Senior Vice President Caleb Weinstein announced that “In nearly two months, Xbox Live has become our second highest performing digital distributor.”
- Now, even more content partners are lining up to get into this service, including new addition Lionsgate will bring an all high definition movie line-up to our rapidly growing digital library.
- We’re bringing the next generation of TV to Xbox 360 with IPTV. Shown for the first time running on a Xbox 360 at CES, IPTV unlocks the potential of TV with a much faster, easier and simpler experience. This combination delivers a complete connected entertainment experience as we saw on stage with voice chat and game invites sent and received while watching TV. And with DVR, you can accept an invite and get in a game without ever having to miss your favorite show. With over 16 partners testing or deploying this software in test markets, it won’t be long until this 1-2 combination hits the mainstream.
IPTV (aka, Tivo) January 9, 2007Posted by dpcough in CES 2007.
add a comment
At CES 2007 during Microsoft’s Keynote they announced later this year Xbox 360 will recieve IPTV, it will be before the holiday 2007. IPTV is Tivo basically and allows you to fast forward, rewind, and record live TV. Specifics were not given on pricing models but you will most likely require a gold membership, hopefully that is all. At ON10 they demoed the functions of it. Read the full release here.
I’m excited about this technology as it extends the experience for the casual crowd.
UNO Anywhere January 8, 2007Posted by dpcough in CES 2007.
add a comment
During the CES Keynote last night Bill Gates described UNO being functional with Live Anywhere and will operate on Windows Vista PCs. Specifics of release were not disclosed but PC buddies and far away friends and relatives who are 360 less can now join in on the UNO fun from their Windows Vista PC when Live Anywhere launches later this year and specifics will be given then.
New Gears of War Maps January 8, 2007Posted by dpcough in CES 2007.
add a comment
At CES it was announced that Gears of War will have two new maps come out January 10th, 2007 named “Raven Down” and “Old Bones.” The content will be free of charge and is being sponsored by Discovery Channel for free. Raven Down surround a helicopter and Old Bones is a muesuem with Locust tunnelings.
In addition there will also be a patch for the game with these features The most notable one is the loss of name for the host of a ranked match, it angers everyone The patch releases Tuesday, info from Mark Rein here:
• Fixed aspect ratio distortion when using VGA cable with 4:3 displays at resolutions higher than 640×480
• Fixed voice issue with new players joining Player Match games in progress
• Players can now get the Achievement for “Dish Best Served Cold” when using Troika turret to kill RAAM
• Fixed rare situation where host could loop countdown and never start match
• Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer
• Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance
• Enabled “Strict” NAT check on host to prevent possible connection issues
• Optimized server browser queries to return results more quickly and prevent scroll bars from hiding quality of service icons
• Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone
• Removed host name from Ranked match server browser
• Disabled security cameras in Ranked matches
• Ranked matches now require balanced teams (3v3 or 4v4)
• Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points
• Added additional cheat detection code
• Additional housekeeping updates
Stay tuned for continuing coverage of CES 2007 all week long.
CES 2007 January 8, 2007Posted by dpcough in CES 2007.
1 comment so far
Last night I had the Eagles game but now I’m back and the CES 2007 coverage will begin, even though I’m not there stay here for all the news, opinions on actions, and more. How bout them Eagles! and Dallas……..romo droppin!!! HAHAHAHAHA
UPDATE 1: 3:12 PM EST, I am gathering all the information and will post it but my friend just called and he got a PS3 so I need to try it out even though this is a 360 blog. All the best updates and more will be up by tonight I promise, for all news that your craving visit The Xbox Domain.